Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Ramparts


Last night around 11 pm, a couple of us stupid college kids thought we needed something to do, so we decided to do the rampart walk  - the walk that goes around the Old City on top of the walls. I actually had just done it a couple days before – but at that time, it was day and the walk was actually open. This time, neither of those were true. So, we set off from JUC and walked through the Old City to reach our entry point. The shops were all closed up – gates shut and merchandise locked away. There were almost no lights coming from the windows and only a few young people and sketchy-looking guys were out on the streets. The cats, however, were abundant. And so creepy. (I have definitely grown in my loathing of cats since being here haha). Our group of seven Americans walking quickly down the narrow streets clearly did not belong – but no one questioned what we were up to. Once we found the place we wanted to get up on the ramparts, we looked for a camera and listened for guards, and then climbed over the wall/railing. I’m making it sounds cooler than it was – but hey, this is more fun for your imagination, right? :)

It was so interesting to walk the ramparts at night. Besides the random city sounds, it was a very quiet evening. I thought that the craziest part was how the Dome of the Rock was absolutely glowing. Nothing else seemed to stand out in excess of the streetlights or occasional house lights. The Dome of the Rock, however, was luminous, and I noticed it much more at night than during the day. It has such a commanding presence in the Old City, and it definitely gave me a lot to think about with regards to Islam and Judaism and Christianity. I also couldn’t help but think of the individuals who currently live in the city and those who have lived there in the past. It has been the center of so many conflicts – people have hated each other for their beliefs in this place for thousands of years. And as I surveyed the darkness, I could see the Muslim homes – the Jewish homes – the Orthodox churches – the many holy places, and I was overwhelmed. How could next to none of these people know Jesus?

I have been faced with many questions since being here. The Jews as God’s chosen people, the reality of hell, God’s overall plan and how it’s being carried out here and now….so many things to think about. Although I have many questions, I have also come to a new awareness and gratefulness for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Of course I have always been so thankful for Him and His sacrifice, but being here and learning more about history and cultures has made me realize even more how His life is the central point in history. He truly is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. No one can come to the Father but through Him. Amazing.

So, as it turns out, this night adventure was more than just a cool experience. It was a great time of reflection and awareness. I have a lot more to think through – and if anyone has any wisdom to share with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am just so very thankful for Jesus – that He came to earth, died, and rose again – and that He has chosen to love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment