Friday, February 18, 2011

Purpose.


Sometimes – well actually a lot of times - I get distracted and burdened by pretty insignificant struggles. A very wise woman (you might know her – I like to call her ‘mom’) told me a few days ago that I should try to define my reason for being here in Jerusalem and then intentionally think of that reason each day as a way to rid myself of my preoccupations. On our last field study, we were viewing the city from a hill right next to the Mount of Olives, and Dr. Wright gave some great insight into Psalm 48. As he did this, I realized that it accurately describes my purpose in studying here. The end of the Psalm says…

We have thought on your steadfast love, O God, in the midst of your temple. As your name, O God, so your praise reaches to the ends of the earth. Your right hand is filled with righteousness. Let Mount Zion be glad! Let the daughters of Judah rejoice because of your judgments!

Walk about Zion, go around her, number her towers, consider well her ramparts, go through her citadels, that you may tell the next generation that this is God, our God forever and ever. He will guide us forever.

I want to dwell on the steadfast love of the Lord. Learn from Him. Rejoice on Mount Zion. Praise Him for His greatness. But those are not my only goals while here. I also desire to use this time that I have been blessed with to help others see the wondrous nature of our God. This command in the psalm to walk about Zion, observing the towers, ramparts, and citadels, can only be carried out in Jerusalem. I feel so incredibly blessed to be able to be here. So as I walk about Zion (I actually live on Mount Zion, and I will be doing a ‘rampart walk’ around the old city this coming week) I want to take in as much as possible not just for my sake but also for whatever God has planned for the rest of my life. 

I feel like I have learned so much already – about the Bible, the land, the people. I can’t wait to learn more. Our God is truly amazing.

It is awesome here. I wish you all could come live here with me :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment