Sunday, March 13, 2011

Psalms.

This past weekend, I was able to see some amazing places that have provided powerful imagery and insight into the Bible. I know I've put pictures on facebook, but I wanted to repost a few here with the Scripture that correlates with the sites. The first two pictures are of Masada, which is the Hebrew word for 'fortress'. This is one place that David fled to when he was being pursued by his enemies. The third picture is En Gedi, which is an set of fresh water springs, waterfalls, and pools right in the middle of the wilderness. David and his men also came to this location in the midst of conflicts. I hope these pictures are helpful as you read the passages! 




Psalm 18

I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?—the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip.


Psalm 71:3-4

Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; 
you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.


Psalm 42

As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?  My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day long, "Where is your God?"  These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.  Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me. By day the LORD commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: "Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"  As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me all the day long, "Where is your God?"  Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.


No comments:

Post a Comment